[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Immortality • View topic - Help Arathil build his uber computer!

Immortality

A World of Warcraft Guild
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Ahoy my young lads. I am in the process of purchasing parts for a new uber computer of doom. I want this computer to basically be The Shit. IE: I want it to play WoW/SC2/D3 on full graphics settings with 60 FPS. I'm still relatively new to building them, but I have a buddy who is going to aid me in this endeavor. That being said...

Assist me in building this monstrosity! Give me some suggestions on what parts to build the best computer ever. We'll worry about cost later, but figure i want it to be under 1200$ or so. I vow that if the computer is uber, I shall get the Immortality Logo spraypainted on the side of the case. So there.

Here is what I have so far.

Processor: Intel Core i7-860 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115214) - From what I've heard, the 860 is better then the 920 if I'm not planning on doing much overclocking on the unit. They seem to give me the most bang for my buck. Confirm/Deny?

Motherboard: Gigabyte 1156 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128409) - DDR3 Ram Support and up to 16 GB (Which will be my eventual goal most likely.) I don't know too much about processors. Any good?

Video Card: Waiting on GTX 470 Nvidia Reviews, but either that or a XFX 5850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150454) . Thoughts?

Memory: Lots O' DDR3.

Case: Going to need alot of room. Anybody have any suggestions for a big case?

Hard Drive: Also need suggestions here. I've got a few ideas, but I really am not sure which will provide the best performance.

Cooling Fans/Thermal Cooling: Clueless here.

What else am I missing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:39 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:47 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Ok, now that I have FINALLY recieved my refund checks, its time to rebump this thread.. ;) Thanks for the advice earlier Jorrel, it really gave me some good insights since I've never built one before. :)

Heres what I'm looking at now. (CPed from Microcenter)

Processor: Intel Corporation Core i7-930 Processor Boxed

Motherboard: Intel Corporation DX58SO LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard

HD: Western Digital-OEM WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Ram: OCZ Technology 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) Obsidian Triple Channel Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules)

Case: Cooler Master HAF932 High Air Flow Full Tower

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Uncertain -

Video Card: Still not sure. Haven't done much research recently. I'm really only planning on sticking with 1 video card right now for my budget but adding a 2nd one down the line is a possibility.

Cooling: Do I need to purchase anything additional for this as far as fans go?

Other: I'm sure i'll get a misc DVD-RW drive, is there anything else I need? I want to spend under 1500$ or so, and before the video card, i'm looking at about 1000$. I want to spend the majority of the final 500$ on an epic Video card.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

CPU: The i7 930 is $199 at microcenter atm. I STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend you buy it before the end of the month as it is a monthly special. $199 is like 100 bucks off of the newegg price and is completely insane.

RAM: Here is an interesting article on why expensive RAM doesn't matter: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mem ... ,2325.html I'd suggest not paying for anything higher than DDR3 1333.

Video: If price is no option then GTX 470 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
or Radeon 5870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Cheaper options: Radeon 5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
GTX 275: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

In both cases I personally prefer the Radeons.

Hard Drive: I recommend either using a SSD or a Velociraptor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product for a boot drive then getting like a 750gb WD Black as storage space for movies/music/data.

Power Supply: I'm not saying that 750w isn't enough because it probably is. Personally, if I were running all the shit you're talking about buying I'd want a 1000w PS just to sleep better at night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

a ssd hd is probably the most noticeable upgrade you can have on a machine.

bought a 80gb for 200$ at microcenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:45 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Yeah, I saw that while browsing microcenter's site, I already reserved my i7-930 and am picking it up tomorrow. :) Gonna have to wait for the next paycheck if I want to nab the 5870, thats a little more then what I have atm. I really want to devote a large budget towards the graphics card though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Also... that motherboard you picked out kinda blows in my opinion. When I build systems I prefer to stick with ASUS or MSI boards. This looks like a better board at around the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.as ... therboards

I'd look for USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s just to add a little more life to your build. USB 3.0 is definatly the wave of the future.

If you have extra money left over I'd look to invest in a blu-ray drive. I'd be willing to bet that within 3 years we'll start seeing games come out on blu-ray.

Finally, if you STILL have money left over, my friend just bought this monitor here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product and it makes me want to spluge in my pants. Games look absolutly AMAZING on a 120hz monitor.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

What motherboard did you recommend Even? Your link is just to the motherboard category for Newegg. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

So far, I've picked up the Processor (i7-930), the Case (Coolermaster HAF932), the Video Card (Went with GTX 470), and the HD. (Velociraptor as you recommended). Still need to pick up the motherboard, the RAM, the Power Supply, and the other misc stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:45 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

It was this one I think: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131641

It was on sale.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Everything should arrive by today, and it will be assembled today!

What I ended up with:

Case: Cooler Master HAF932 High Air Flow Full Tower
CPU: i7-930
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (it was on sale for 50$ off when i nabbed it)
Video Card: GTX 470
Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFSRTL 300GB 10000 RPM
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V (Was nearing my budget, had to end up going with a 750w)
Drive: DL-DVDRW Drive

Thanks for the help yall, I really appriciate it. :)

I'll let you know how it goes!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I just got this heat sink for my cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... &Tpk=spinq

It isn't the greatest in terms of performance but god damn if it doesn't look nice in my case. It looks like it could eat a small animal.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:28 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Computer is built and everything! Installing WoW now, will try it out after I get off work tomorrow.

No hitches building it either, besides having to remount the heat sink on the CPU once.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm 

Nice Rig there Arathil. I built something very similar.

My Setup

i930 OC @ 4.0ghz
Gigabyte X58A UDR3
6gigs Gskill 1600
80 Gig Intel SSD -(OS Drive)
2 - WD Caviar Black SATA 3 Drives (raid 0)
Asus 5870
PS - Corsair HX 620 - Old but still does the tirck
Thermaltake Element S Case - Modded for Side Fans
Corsaid H50 - set up for push/pull with 2 fans

Evens. Thats a pretty decent aftermarket cooler but there are better.

Grab a Corsair H50 when they're on sale. I got mine for $60 a BB recently. They go on sale every now and then. The lowest I've seen was 49.99. For a cooler that easily outperforms enthusiast Air Coolers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 10&Tpk=h50

Its a very nice cooler that directly vents the Hot Air from your CPU out of the case if you set it up that way. I have mine with a second fan for a push/pull setup and it keeps my i930 at 4.0ghz under 60c full load.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]