[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Immortality • View topic - Building a new pc

Immortality

A World of Warcraft Guild
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Building a new pc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I think the time has come for my poor old pc to get replaced. As always, I get up to date with pc parts when I build it then don't pay attention for the next few years. Been looking over a few places for sales (go go Black November) as I'm not in a huge rush to build it, just preferably before Cata. Figured I'd use the Immo think tank to see what people think on parts.

For CPU I've always built with AMD but I know the i7's have caught up Intel on that field. For price and performance this looks like a pretty good call: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T -

For mobo the review I read on the above CPU used an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX -

For Memory I'm still debating about settling on 6GB or going for 8GB. Aiming for DDR3 1333MHZ.

Have a terabyte HD I'll carry over for storage but want to pick up an SSD to use as my main drive.

Haven't looked at video cards at all really. Not at home to double check but I currently have a GeForce 8800 GTS.

I've been using OCZ GameXstream power supplies for awhile now and haven't had any complaints. Likely pick up one of the new 'II' models in 700W or maybe jump up to an 850W if more power is needed with the build.
-

Last of course, but probably the more logical first thing to purchase, a case. Glanced over a few but haven't settled on anything. Currently using an Antec Sonata II for comparison. I don't mind a little flash but generally keep it simple-ish in style.

Used newegg for the post but the local shop I normally go to if not shipping is .

Post subject: Re: Building a new pc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:38 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I would STRONGLY advise you to consider an Intel over an AMD. This isn't just personal preference speaking, I was an AMD guy before the i7s came out too. The 6 core AMDs don't even tough the 4 core Intels. Plus, at the price you can pick up i7s at, it's almost criminal to turn it down. Check out this ad for a local store: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cce ... ce9be6a/22. If you want to paypal me money I can pick you up an i7 and ship it to you. I built my Intel machine almost a year ago and I couldn't be happier with how it has preformed. You can do what you want I guess, but I really believe Intel is the way to go atm.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 772-6.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

As far as cases go, Apevia's are in-between flashy and simple, and you wouldn't even need to install a cold cathode as LED fans would be enough. Plenty of cooling and in my opinion, they do look really nice. I wouldn't exactly suggest a clear UV case, especially a Logisys. Logisys UV cases don't open very easily at all and since it's clear, you can watch the dust build up.. then unscrew twelve screws to vacuum it!
Apevia X-Discovery has plenty of ventilation and even a temperature gauge on the front, aside from having visual appeal.
http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-discovery-black.html

And for the memory, as long as the 8GB isn't that much more you might as well go for it. Chances are it's worth it if you don't upgrade for a couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:25 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Thinking about http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=CC-ANTE ... HUNDRED-II for a case. Great reviews and an option to turn off the giant blue LED so I don't have to sleep with a computer night light on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I have that similar case from Antec, its pretty nice. Except for the fact that its fucking huge. haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:54 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

The LED lights aren't THAT bright. :roll:
But I have a a Logisys case and it's REALLY big, being completely clear it gives the effect a more roomy interior and more room to work with everything so it doesn't look like you had to cram all your pieces together.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:09 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

August posted a link a little while ago comparing the Intels to the AMDs hexacore and even the quadcore intel performed a little better the hexacore for gaming. The hexacore performed better in other areas then gaming but a lot of the articles I've read in the end are picking even the quadcore intel over the hexacore amd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:03 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

This latest generation of AMD processors blow... sorry, they just do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:35 am 

I buy AMD for budget. If you want high end, go Intel + Nvidia.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]