[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Immortality • View topic - Laptop Processor Limiting?

Immortality

A World of Warcraft Guild
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:18 pm 

Im on vacation for about a week so I brought the lappy with me. Trying to play today I noticed that sitting still in town that my FPS are between 5-20 at a given interval. Usually every 5-6 seconds it does this drop to 5 slowly, then back to 20. I know there are processor limiters on laptops to protect the chip from burning up if the heat climbs above safe levels, but quite frankly I would rather burn my chip up and play. Anyone know how to turn this feature off? I've looked everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:33 pm 

You guys are smart :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:40 pm 

what kind of laptop is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:12 pm 

i know on some Gateway laptops there is a SmartChip / SmartProcessor option in the BIOS. are you trying to run it from Batt or A/C?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:31 pm 

It's a dell, and I run it with A/C. I know it processor limiting because once it gets hot, its starts fucking up on SNES roms to...in which this laptop should have NO problem running, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:16 pm 

yea, u might want to look into gettting a laptop cooler pad. its a little board that attaches to the bottom of the laptop and has a few fans in it that plugs into USB port. i have only seen them online so i dont know where to find one IRL. but you might check your BIOS for some option like that or maybe try slowing things down a little. i am guessing the system meets min req for WoW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:12 pm 

Yeah - I have been playing with a GeForce FX 5200 running through a PCI slot. It isn't the greatest but it does run WoW pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:51 pm 

No this is for a laptop though, its the mobile 5200. I have the regular FX 5200 on my desktop and its great, the mobile one is crap though. 32meg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:39 pm 

Really when it comes to gaming its really expensive to get a laptop to play like a desktop. I work on laptops all the time btw. :D Dells are my specialty at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:00 am 

yea the PC card thing is crap, the internal 5200go's are some i have read about and they are decent. if you want power to go, Alienware is wher it is (if u have the 4g it takes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:30 am 

make sure to set all the graphic settings to minimum. go into video options and turn off anti-aliasing. these will cause graphic heating causing the laptop to go into cooling mode. Also, check the power control panel(name?) and make sure you set it to AC. just plugging it into the wall doesnt always tell the machine not to use power saving settings(like not using the fans when cool).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:46 pm 

I used to have an Alienware, I built it barebones. It was as powerful as my desktop, the mobile Radeon 9000 is a nice onboard for lapys, but IM telling you the mobile Ge Force series is JUNK. Its a 32 meg that won't support 3 kids with the down syndrome.

Thx for advise Kel, I already had graphics on minimum. I usually run the game decently until the heat kicks up or there are more then 6 people on screen.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]