[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Immortality • View topic - Finally Pulled the Trigger on My New PC Build

Immortality

A World of Warcraft Guild
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 am 

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9950
4 Gigs PC 1066 DDR2
ASUS Mobo
Nvidia 260 - XFX Black Edition w 216 Cores
500 Gig HD
Some other Stuff like PS/OS/SATA DVD/CD Burner
Should be rockin some sweet FPS soon!

All from New Egg. I Origionally Ordered the Video Card and Mem from Tiger Direct, but they still hadn't shipped, New Egg had the Same Prices and Free Shipping so I told Tiger Direct to Eat Shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:54 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

how many megs of gay?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:54 pm 
Over 9000?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Man, so many capitalized letters in a single sentence. You aren't speaking German for God's sake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 pm 

Lol Frenchie, I deedn't knew u wuz a engrish teecher!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:34 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 am 

Meh, I onlly really play wow, MORE than sufficient for that, also I thought wow didn't take advantage of SLI?

Oh, my biggest forum pet peave, spellcheckers, caps checkers, and other such people who actually care about grammar puntuation and shit on forums. :p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:40 pm 

[quote="Gignor]

I'm gonna be getting a Core i7 920 - benchmarks looking really sexy compared to the reasonable price.
The new 1377-socket means a good deal extra spent on a X58-motherboard, and memory has to be bought in bundles of 3 instead of 2 - and has to be DDR3, bringing up the price on that quite a bit as well.
As for the GPU a HD 4870 scores higher than the 260 in most apps, and is cheaper, so I'll be sticking with ATI.

I wish I could order from New Egg, everything is so much cheaper over there.
Oh well.

I read a Tom's Hardware article on 4870'es, and figured the overclocked Sapphire Toxic edition fit me best, with a good, silent cooler. I've also considered Asus or HID though, but I do value a noise-free rig. Does anyone have a 4870?[/quote]

I wish I could afford to go the i7 route right now, but there are several issues with them that I'm not willing to overlook just yet. The biggest is the price of motherboards to support them. Anything worth a shit is around $300. The cost of DDR3 Ram was another concern. The price point to performance increase just isn't there for me based on my budget. The other big issue is that these are early revisions of the i7 chips. If ya wait a while you'll be able to get them in better revisions that will run cooler and are much less expensive. Not saying that a i7 is a bad chip, its awsome, just not for me atm. If I didn't have a budget, its the way I would go right now.

I also wouldn't be so sure on the 4870's. A recent review showed the card I'm getting besting the 4870. Not significantly. Even if I hadn't seen data showing better FPS in the games I play and apps I run, I would still go nVidia over ATI(AMD) anyday. I can't fucking stand the screwy Catylist drivers. Some people swear by them but I have never had good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 pm 

btw here is the link to that review

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==

216 Core 260 w 768 megs ram vs 4870 with 1gig ram

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:09 am 

I feel the same away ATI though, I'd rather not go nVidia, as I've used ATI cards all my life.
What I did have was an nVidia chipset that had a built-in firewall that blocked my games, until I finally found a way of disabling it. So my experiences point in the opposite direction.
Also, the 4870 is, at least on the danish market, cheaper than the 200-series.
As for the i7 thing, the motherboards and ram are much more expensive, but if you don't get the newest stuff your rig just gets outdated that much quicker. I just went as high as my budget allowed me to.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]