Immortality

A World of Warcraft Guild
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:25 am 

Character Information

Armory Link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... Afo/simple

Explain why you enjoy playing your class. How long have you been playing the class you are applying with and do you have any experience playing other classes/specs? Give two examples of specific situations in which you shine on your class.
I have played a rogue since the start of WoW. I have played 116 days, 14 h and 35 m on this character. I have primarily been a combat rogue. When I started, combat had the highest dps and it was where I could contribute the most in my guild. I tried assassination back then,but never could get my dps where I was in combat. I loved raiding and focused there. My gear was focused on combat. Our guild broke up about the time of BC starting and I needed a break. Came back to the game during Wrath, got going on my character and after leveling and had dungeon-ed till I felt I was ready. I joined another guild. We started in on Wrath dungeons,but guild started to fade and only a few players were active. Playing a rogue fits my game play style and I love it. I have a level 80 priest, a level 70 pally and a level 40 warlock, but just don't have the time to continue to move them forward. Aforiest, Afoadin, and Afoee are their names respectively. I started these alts to assist my guild, but never really got them leveled enough to be much help in raids.

Two areas I shine: When I played a lot before, I was a PVE raider, and was consistently the highest DPS in my guild, back in classic wow. Raiding is fun and what I enjoy doing, so I work on learning all I can and take direction well. After I came back, I consistently improved raid to raid and had just geared Afo well and started to get to a better level of dps when my new guild started to fade.
My second area is that while I know a lot about my class, I know I can always learn more and get better and have always been dedicated to being the best rogue I can be. Rogues have changed a lot since classic and I continue to read all that I can to make Afo better as the game changes. I also make sure to never make Afo or my guild's rep on the sever negative due to my behavior.

Are you competent in playing other specs within your class? Do you have off spec gear?
I have continued to focus on combat, but I have played around with assassination. I haven't played Subtlety very much. I had always hoped that the devs would have brought subtlety to equal the other two as it was the area in the talent tree I always wanted to play around with as I thought it was what a rogue was supposed to be. While what I have read is subtlety has come a long way, it seems it still lacks dps compared to the other two. I based this solely on what I have read online and don't mean to offend anyone who plays a subtlety rogue. I wasn't aware in the new dungeons that the alternate specs would be better to play over combat, but I am willing to gear myself as needed to be the best raider I can. I have had to buy much of my gear on the AH to advance to a level where I can start to raid in Cata, so haven't expanded to much into assassin spec gear. I will explain below why this is in the section about me.

What alts do you actively play, at least over level 80.
Have a priest at level 80, but haven't had much of a chance to play it recently, as i have been working on my main.

Please provide a UI screenshot.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... at114.png/

Experience

Provide a link to a World of Log for cataclysm content. At the very least provide a damage meter for a dummy under the following conditions: 5 minutes long, any standard raid buffs you would like, and include the breakdown of your damage as well as the overall damage done. Do not skip over this.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... at128.png/
See below

What raiding guilds have you been a part of? Why did you leave?
I was an officer in Lords of Echo during classic WoW. Played a lot back then and was always a member in good standing LoE. Guild broke up and Guild leader moved on to other guilds. Rest of leadership couldn't maintain it.
I am currently and Officer in Home Grown Epics (only a level 7 guild), but guild faded and Guild leader has stopped playing. I am the top member in the guild, very close to revered in the guild, but doesn't mean much if you are the only one actively playing.

What is your raiding experience? Please be as specific as possible and include content from Vanilla to current.
As I said, my previous (current - until the right opportunity comes along) guild, Home Gown Epics, had just gotten going in Wrath when it started fading. In my classic guild, Lords of Echo, we had finished MC, Ony, AQ20, AQ40, and never finished BWL. Guild leader was Davudy. Don't believe he plays anymore, but I think he was a Immo member after the breakdown of the guild at some point. Don't have bad habits, though and can learn the way Immortality does it and fit right in.

Personal Information

Tell us about yourself. What other games do you enjoy?
Real life name is Jeff, I'm 43, married have two boys one 12 and the other 11. I am a Customer Service/Logistics manager at a plant that makes multiple food products. I started playing computer games on an original IBM and Commador 64. I remember playing DOS games, where you got nothing but statements like "You are standing on beach, in front of you is the ocean. To your right is a shovel, to your left the beach, behind you the jungle" You then had to type r to move right, pick up the shovel, etc. to solve the game (trust me this was fun at the time!). I have played many computer games. As for online games, dabbled in Everquest, played SWG before it became Star Wars WoW, moved to WoW and stayed. I loved WoW because the grind, wasn't all grind and questing made the game progress much more enjoyably. Raiding sealed the deal for me to stay. Got into a guild in SWG and that really made online games fun for me. Using Teamspeak and Vent and actually talking to folks made the SWG grind bearable and helped make me feel I had online friends. Missed a guild to play with after LoE (stayed together as we moved from SWG to WoW) broke up and stopped playing, just wasn't as fun and family needs had to be dealt with. Being a parent/full-time job/husband, I have priorities many WoW players don't deal with, but I do enjoy playing and try to give as much time as I can to the game. After coming back, I did Pug groups, earned my perky pug and it beat me down while earning my gear with pugs. I was ready to join a new guild and raid. Since cata came out and Homegrown started to fade, I have done dungeon, but have bought gear on the AH + what I picked up. Limited game time has required me to take advantage of the options, of buying AH gear and has become a necessary evil, but I much rather enjoy earning it with my guildies.

Why do you enjoy raiding? What keeps you playing this game?
Teamwork, amongst friends and dedicated teammates, working toward a common goal. Celebrating that first downing of a boss and seeing your guildies gear up along with you just rocks!

Immortality raids 4 days a week Monday through Thursday from 8pm-12pm EST. Does this work for you? How about when school starts?
I will say that if I can be on all four days a week I will, but I do know that two days a week I can raid regularly, unless work or family needs me and they will always be my first priority. Got to make money to eat/play, building gamers of the future with my boys, so they get me first, and i continue to pay attention to the wife, with the hope that she will throw me some from time to time. ;) Definitely requires a lot of effort and builds patience - the rl grind.

What do you believe you can contribute to Immortality?
A mature raider that will take direction, improve continuously, loyal to the guild, understands his class, can have fun, and be serious. I understand the value of teamwork and knowing when you need to shut up and learn from others. I will do whatver I am asked if it is within my abilities.

Are you able to handle, at times, harsh constructive criticism?
I have been married for 15 years, I believe I can handle it :D. However, I am always respectful of others and expect respect from others. If the criticism is sarcastic and childish, I'll hear it, but I will likely not respect it.

What are your computer specs? Internet connection? Please post a link from http://www.speedtest.net
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.34.37 AM Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.37.18 AM

What is the best way to contact you?
In game or you can send me an email in game and I will send you my rl email through that. I will check back here on the forum too.

Tell us a joke!
Old stand-by A horse walks into the bar, the Bartender say, "Hey why the long face". If anyone in the guild is a horse, No offense. :D
I am sure that being old and not always up on all the current game chat abbreviations and the the cool kids, hip, lingo, I am sure I will make many laugh.

As examples:
I read an application on the forums and he said he would contribute the lulz, do you want that? Is it contagious? Are there shots for it?

I went through every algebra, trig and calculus book I have and tried to come up with an answer to the equation I<3 U, but didn't love it or have enough heart to finish it. (Yeah, I do get what it is).

Seriously don't get lulz. I do look forward to learning what it is.

I appreciate your consideration of my application. I wish u much lulz??!!!! I think???? :)

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.34.37 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.34.37 AM.png [ 37.49 KiB | Viewed 8229 times ]
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.37.18 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 2.37.18 AM.png [ 60.99 KiB | Viewed 7839 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I normally don't do these questions anymore -- but since you put in a decent amount of time on your app, I will throw a few easy ones your way. Warning: I do not raid, I do not have any impact on the raiding aspect of this guild. So you could potentially ignore all my questions :)

1. PvP? Yay/Nay?
2. Your playing time is definitely not terribly conducive for raiding. 2 nights a week is rough - but it does feel that you are looking for a place to call "home"? Am I right or completely off base on this one?
3. Which one of your kids do you love more... ? Promise we won't tell the other.... well I won't.
4. How often do you attract drama.. rate yourself 1-10
5. How interested are you in going back and seeing old content.. for example ICC, and Naxx?
6. Alcoholic drink of choice during raiding?

On a side note, we are a very diverse guild, several female raiders, the average age of our raider is probably a littler higher than other guilds. But we tend to have fun and we tend to progress. Don't get me wrong, we have some amazing players in the guild, they just take a very steady approach to raiding. I am sure an officer would be around these forums eventually. Best of luck to you Afo!

Stalyx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

Answering his questions is strongly recommended.

Popularity is nothing...Principles are forever. -G.W.B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:45 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

answer for number 6. DR. Death

."

Achilles says: "That's why no one will remember
your name
."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm 

No problem.

1. PvP? Yay/Nay?

Short answer would be Nay.
A longer explanation follows:
I did do some Arathi Basins and bit of the other original PVP content. I have the legacy title of Knight Champion. I have not spent any time PVP'ing since I have come back to the game. I wanted to focus my time getting to a level where I could constructively participate in one of the main things about the game I truly enjoy, raiding and helping my guild progress in a very major part of the game. I currently don't have any PVP gear. I will also say, PVP is not where my talent shines, I don't "lose control and pee myself". (I saw this selection on another application on the site), but I also can't say that the Skullcrusher Horde are shaking in fear when I enter. :|

2. Your playing time is definitely not terribly conducive for raiding. 2 nights a week is rough - but it does feel that you are looking for a place to call "home"? Am I right or completely off base on this one?

First off, I would have to say that you are dead on about me looking for a place to call home. I enjoy playing WoW, but playing solo, pugging what content I could get in on, not having the enjoyment of guild mates to interact with regularly, and not having a larger purpose to push myself further in the game has lessened my overall enjoyment of the game. Throw in the game continuing to change right about the time I have myself geared to a respectable level and having to start over with limited support, weighs heavily on my drive to continue to play.

My limited play time was definitely one of my biggest concerns while I was considering applying. Immortality has always shown its strong commitment to game progression, its player's high level of commitment and competency, and its high expectations for their guild members. This was very evident when I started playing WoW. I was not only impressed, but quite frankly, a bit intimidated back then. Since returning, I've looked at the names of the guilds on player tags and I bet it wasn't 10 minutes and I saw the Immortality tag. Larger guilds when I played originally, such as Local Defense, Beatdown Brigade, etc., I have either not observed their Tag at all or I see their tags on a much, much smaller scale. I believe this speaks volumes about the values Immortality committed to early on in the game/guild and the reason you are still here in force, years later. Looking through the forums, I saw numerous "Retired" tags, but saw many of them continued to post and share their time with the guild. This commitment shows sustainability in action. I don't want this to be read as me trying to suck up, but to show my appreciation of the guild's success. Having been in two guilds, that slowly fizzled, I have a pretty good feel for how difficult it is to hold a smaller guild together. I can only imagine how much work goes into keeping a large guild like this one not only together, but thriving.

If my limited play time prevents me from joining the guild, I understand and it wouldn't change my opinion of the guild. I would be disappointed, sure, but I can at least say I gave it a shot.

3. Which one of your kids do you love more... ? Promise we won't tell the other.... well I won't.

LOL - Best question so far! I can truly say I love them equally, but for different reasons. My oldest is solid, focused and grounded (not in a bad way). My youngest goes with the flow, will always have friends, and has a quick wit. Both are well adjusted and my wife and I are truly blessed to have them. I have no doubt that they are turning out so well because of my wife. I'm a mess :wink:.

4. How often do you attract drama.. rate yourself 1-10

Assuming 1 ='s "Oh him/her, are they still around" and 10 ='s a Daytime Emmy Sweep for a soap opera, evil twin return, I would have to say I am a three. I enjoy cutting up and use humor to try to avoid drama or diffuse a situation, but that can result in people, thinking you aren't taking them or an issue seriously. I know my drama level has dropped as I have aged. Thankfully it is the only thing that has dropped as I have gotten older. 8)

5. How interested are you in going back and seeing old content.. for example ICC, and Naxx?

One man's old content is another man's "OMG, this is so cool!" Seriously, I have no issue doing Classic content, BC content, Wrath content or Cata content. As long as the guild gets value from these runs, cool by me. I am at a 4490 achievement level and would love to see it keep getting higher, older content, counts too. Plus, I never got to drop the King. I have a level 85 sword with his name on it. (please don't judge me on my trash-talking :oops:)

6. Alcoholic drink of choice during raiding?

I don't typically drink during the week and for me to focus on raiding, drinking before or during a raid would probably end up looking like my golf game. Seriously, if you saw me play a round of golf, you'd drink too. When not needing to focus and my kids aren't around (rarely), my stand-bys are Coors Light or Miller Light (both customers of my plant). I have been known to slip in a Bourbon or two, after that I stop counting as I am easily distracted by, well, pretty much everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

You are funny -- I am sure a raiding officer will be here soon and eviscerate your profile... :) It is a right of passage, don't ask me why!
Thank you for responding. Best of luck on your application...

You probably will never see me online, but there are some pretty swell people in Immo, if you don't make it as a raider, group with us, do a couple of dungeons. Make friends, we have a very solid friends and family program. :)

Once again best of luck on your app!

Stalyx

edit: The reason why you should do older content is because it will personally benefit you. Since a lot of the mechanics in wow are recycled, you will hear stuff like, phase 2 is just like sarth 3d or stand like you would at felmyst. ... , and also the lore is pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 am 

Thanks Stalyx. I will definitely, do as much previous content as I can find people willing to run it. I appreciate your time and feedback.

I realized I hadn't put down much info on rogue play style, info exchange, etc.

Spent time on a training dummy unbuffed, except poisons, I tried video capture and screwed it up. Yeah it's a Mac, but I'm old and it probably doesn't think I'm cool enough for video capture, but with current gear, I ran well over 5 minutes at a consistent 11k without popping cd's.

-Run the basic combat rotation.
ss to 3 cp's >SnD
ss to 4 cp's > rs to 5 > rupture (didn't see much dps difference when I didn't add a rupture, and rogue bleeds aren't as critical anymore from what I read)
ss to 3 cp's >SnD
ss to 4 cp's > evis
Rinse and repeat

If I proc to 5 cp's from 3 skip rs > evis to not lose dps, unless SnD low and will throw a 30 sec SnD up > AR and try to >5 cp evis like crazy.

Understand interrupts, rogue AOE, dropped my two free points in combat to imp recup, use this in pug dungeons when the healer is overwhelmed, underwhelming, or "tanks get all my heals" and use in raids when damage is high and mana at a premium. Carry Flasks of Wind, skewered eel, Potion of tolivar, Agility boosts scrolls, Pig feasts for the group, a full array of poisons for those special times when instant and Deadly, just won't do.

Read up on sites like Elitestjerks.com, PVErogues.com, MaxDPS.com. Shadowpanther.net, etc. I have found these sites to be helpful, pretty well run, and good sources for all good rogue debates. PVERogues.com has a pretty cool calculator, that for the mathly challenged like myself, does a nice job making sure you cap out in the poison cap, white damage cap, and cap, but not go over my expertise level especially being a human with +3 to swords, I had dramatically impacted my dps negatively, before understanding this part of the cap process. I see rogues that have good gear, but don't maximize their dps, because they don't get the cap system.

I do make nube mistakes in new dungeons and raids, at times it comes down to being too focused on the kill and not the other stuff going on around me. ADHD meds ftw!!! :mrgreen: I do learn and adjust my play style. Obviously the more practice I get the better.

I now realize the critiquing will begin. Thanks again for your consideration.
Afo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:46 am 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

I'm yet another person who can only give my $0.02, as I am on hiatus from raiding.

things that I'm noticing:

-ilvl 356 isn't exactly ready for ilvl 378+ content. This can be partly remedied by obtaining 2 very easy ilvl 365 gear; Thrall chain quest that rewards 365 cloak and molten front daily upto getting 20 tokens unlocking a vendor with ilvl 365 ring. Both can be done in under an hour.
-your enchants are off - str on glove, crit on cloak, stam on leg
-glyphs - switch RS with SnD, and make sure to have Glyph of Tricks on your major spot.

-rotation - Get SnD up soon as possible, and Killing Spree the moment the first insight pops up. Always make sure you are at least in Shallow Insight before using KS. SS -> SnD -> SS til shallow insight -> KS -> AR -> cycle

only making maximum of 50% of raid is a real sticking point far as applying for a raid position.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 am 
Im not the melee CL or anything like that but If you were given a shot you have to realize our gear system is loot council and that we probably wouldn't hand you gear the first time we see it drop. As long as thats not issue I see no problem giving you a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 am 

Misstickle, I will work on your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time sharing them. To address the raid concern. I do understand that my time limits impact me. I have never been under the belief that I would be getting geared out right out of the block. I also wouldn't want to take gear if it didn't benefit the guild. I fully expect to be at best an alternate bought in to fill a gap not secure a spot in main raid group. I can participate in alt runs in past content or continue to work on my gear outside the guild, with the direction as needed from others in the guild. Believe me that I have no expectations for super loots. I have worked or bought what I have at this point. I think it would be great just to be part of a functioning guild, at this point to be honest. Again thanks for taking the time to consider my app. If it doesn't work this time. I will be around and working to keep improving.
Continued success,
Afo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:15 pm 
<Immortality>
<Immortality>

message an officer and someone will toss you an invite. Be warned though, I tend to kick people who are raiders that don't log on for 2 weeks + without saying anything.

Popularity is nothing...Principles are forever. -G.W.B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 am 

Thanks I will log in tomorrow and find someone. Warning understood. Misstickle, thanks for the catch the leg enchant, that was a mistake on my part. I did the wrong enchant. I must have clicked on the wrong emboss. Cloak was next best enchant I could find on AH according to Maxdp.com and I knew I was going to upgrade it so didn't seem to matter. On the hands, I will get greater mastery as I am Expertise capped and if I go higher my dps drops. Working on Therazane Rep for better shoulder enchant. Trinket and Rings were my next best upgrades to work on, then my back. I will knock those out ASAP. Thanks again for the great tips!

Afo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]